If you caring for an adult then you could be eligible to apply for our Short Break Grant scheme to award you a break from your caring responsibilitities.
Short Breaks for Carers
Voluntary Action Shetland has been fortunate to secure £3,845 from Shared Care Scotland's Time to Live Fund allowing us to offer carers of adults in Shetland the chance to benefit from a short break from their caring role.
Here is a brochure with further information about our Short Break Grant Scheme. This includes some ideas for your short break and we are open to your suggestions too.
Funding Your Short Breaks
Short breaks will be subject to funding. We have set a limit on the amount of grant we can provide to allow as many carers as possible to benefit from the scheme. Currently, we are offering a grant up to a maximum of £150 per carer towards your chosen short break. This could be the cost towards a holiday, activity or therapy. Your application will be assessed against our eligibility criteria.
Make a Request - it's Easy
1. Apply online by clicking the 'Short Break Form' button at the top of this page or call Kirsten Harcus obtain a paper version of the application form (01595 743980)
2. Once VAS has received your completed application form we will contact you to let you know the next grant allocation date.
3. This will then register you with our service so that we can record you are a carer and send you any new carer information.
Notes about the Application Process
- Grants will be allocated three times per year at panel meetings on 7th December 2018, 19th April 2019 and 23rd August 2019. Applicants will be advised within one week of the meeting and if successful a grant cheque will be sent out.
- Any grant awarded will reflect a contribution towards the break, subject to a maximum amount of £150.
- Previous recipients can reapply in subsequent years but if the fund is oversubscribed priority will be given to first time applicants.
- Carers may be invited to meet with VAS Support Worker to discuss their application if further information is required.
After Your Short Break
As part of the conditions for the grant you will need to send us receipts for your short break. We also require that you fill in an Evaluation form telling us ling us about your Short Break which can be done on line or a paper version can be completed. This helps us to monitor the success and take-up of the project and make improvements where necessary.