'Time to Live' Grants
****Our Short Break grant scheme is now just 'TIME TO LIVE', which is grants for carers who are caring for someone of any age****
We want to encourage carers, and the people they care for, to have a 'break', i.e. some time out from their regular caring routines. We want you to use the money to do something that you enjoy, that will give you something to look forward to and that will help promote good health and wellbeing.
We have funding available once again to offer Short Break grants to carers in need of a break. Our funding is from both Shetland Charitable Trust, and Scottish Government Short Breaks Funding, which is administered through Shared Care Scotland. Both funding streams are currently being distributed through our Time to Live Short Break grant scheme. Young carers can also apply.
Here is a brochure with further information about our Short Break grant schemes. This includes some ideas for your Short Break and we are open to your suggestions too. If you would like some ideas about ways to take a break at home, please visit our page HERE. Our current eligibiity criteria for awarding Time to Live Short Breaks can be found HERE.
Short breaks will be subject to funding. Currently, we are offering a grant up to a maximum of £300 per carer towards your chosen short break. This could be towards the cost of a holiday, activity, hobby or therapy etc. Your application will be assessed against our eligibility criteria.
Make a Request - it's Easy
1. If you would like to apply for a Time to Live Short Break grant then please email [email protected] or telephone Amanda Brown on 01595 743923 to let us know you are interested in applying for a Short Break. We will then email you a link to take you to the online application form.
Applicants should also complete a health and wellbeing survey to support their application, which can be found here.
Please note this is now a NEW application form template we are using which should make it easier for carers to access via any device they are using. There is also the option to save your form and return to it later, before submitting.
2. If you do not want to apply online, please contact [email protected] or telephone Amanda Brown on 01595 743923 and we can send you out a paper version of the application form. We can also help you to complete an application over the phone if you prefer.
3. Once Shetland Carers has received your completed application form we will acknowledge receipt.
4. This will then register you with our service so that we can record you are a carer and send you any new carer information.
Notes about the Application Process
1. Panel meetings take place approximately every six to eight weeks. Panel meeting dates for this grant year are 4th May 2022, 29th June 2022, 5th September 2022, 26th October 2022, 14th December 2022 and 1st February 2023. Applications that are time critical can be assessed at the panel’s discretion in between meetings. Applicants will be advised within one week of the meeting, the outcome of their application.
2. If your application is successful, we can either transfer money into your bank account or send out a cheque to you - whichever you prefer.
3. Any grant awarded will reflect a contribution towards the break, subject to a maximum amount of £300.
3. Due to a change in our grant period (April 2022 to March 2023), and an increase in the amount of grant we can now offer (£300 up from £150), carers who have received a Short Break grant of £150 between October 2021 and March 2022 can reapply for up to £150 to bring their grant in line with the new maximum grant amount of £300.
4. Any carer in receipt of a grant between October 2021 and March 2023 would next be eligible to apply for a grant in the new grant period from April 2023 to March 2024.
4. Previous recipients can reapply in subsequent years, but if the fund is oversubscribed priority will be given to first time applicants.
5. Carers may be invited to meet with Shetland Carers Support Worker to discuss their application if further information is required.
After Your Short Break
As part of the conditions for the grant you will need to send us receipts for your Short Break. We also require that you fill in an evaluation form telling us about your Short Break which can be done online or a paper version can be completed. This helps us to monitor the success and take-up of the project and make improvements where necessary.