'Time to Live' Grants
****As of February 2024, our Short Break grant scheme, 'TIME TO LIVE', has CLOSED. We are awaiting new funding in April 2024 so that the grant scheme can be reopened. More information to follow****
We want to encourage carers, and the people they care for, to have a 'break', i.e. some time out from their regular caring routines. We want you to use the money to do something that you enjoy, that will give you something to look forward to and that will help promote good health and wellbeing.
We have funding available once again to offer Short Break grants to carers in need of a break. Our funding is from both Shetland Charitable Trust, and Scottish Government Short Breaks Funding, which is administered through Shared Care Scotland. Both funding streams are currently being distributed through our Time to Live Short Break grant scheme. Young Carers can also apply.
Here is a brochure with further information about our Short Break grant schemes. This includes some ideas for your Short Break and we are open to your suggestions too. If you would like to view a list of various ways in which carers throughout Scotland have used their Short Break grant, please click HERE. This list includes plenty of ideas on how to take a break at home, if that is what you prefer. Our current eligibiity criteria for awarding Time to Live Short Breaks can be found HERE.
Short breaks will be subject to funding. Currently, we are offering a grant up to a maximum of £250 per carer towards your chosen short break. This could be towards the cost of a holiday, activity, hobby or therapy etc. Your application will be assessed against our eligibility criteria.
Make a Request - it's Easy
1. If you would like to apply for a Time to Live Short Break grant then please email email@example.com or telephone Amanda Brown on 01595 743923 to let us know you are interested in applying for a Short Break. We will then email you a link to take you to the online application form.
Applicants should also complete a health and wellbeing survey to support their application, which can be found here.
Please note this is now a NEW application form template we are using which should make it easier for carers to access via any device they are using. There is also the option to save your form and return to it later, before submitting.
2. If you do not want to apply online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Amanda Brown on 01595 743923 and we can send you out a paper version of the application form. We can also help you to complete an application over the phone if you prefer.
3. Once Shetland Carers has received your completed application form we will acknowledge receipt.
4. This will then register you with our service so that we can record you are a carer and send you any new carer information.
Notes about the Application Process
1. Panel meetings take place approximately every six to eight weeks. Panel meeting dates for this grant year are 11th May 2023, 22nd June 2023, 21st August 2023, 9th October 2023, 4th December 2023, 29th January 2024 and 18th March 2024. Applications that are time critical can be assessed at the panel’s discretion in between meetings. Applicants will be advised within one week of the meeting, the outcome of their application.
2. If your application is successful, we can either transfer money into your bank account or send out a cheque to you - whichever you prefer.
3. Any grant awarded will reflect a contribution towards the break, subject to a maximum amount of £250.
4. Any carer in receipt of a grant between April 2023 and March 2024 would next be eligible to apply for a grant in the new grant period from April 2024 to March 2025.
4. Previous recipients can reapply in subsequent years, but if the fund is oversubscribed priority will be given to first time applicants.
5. Carers may be invited to meet with Shetland Carers Support Worker to discuss their application if further information is required.
After Your Short Break
As part of the conditions for the grant you will need to send us receipts for your Short Break. We also require that you fill in an evaluation form telling us about your Short Break which can be done online or a paper version can be completed. This helps us to monitor the success and take-up of the project and make improvements where necessary.