'Time for Me' Grants
We want to encourage carers, and the people they care for, to have a 'break', i.e. some time out from their regular caring routines. We want you to use the money to do something that you enjoy, that will give you something to look forward to and that will help promote good health and wellbeing.
Shetland Carers has been fortunate to secure £3,203 from Shetland Charitable Trust allowing us to offer carers of young people and young adults in Shetland (under 21 years), the chance to benefit from a Short Break from their caring role from April 2021 until the end of March 2022.
Here is a brochure with further information about our Short Break grant schemes. If you would like some ideas about ways to take a break at home, please visit the following page HERE. Our current eligiblity criteria for awarding Time for Me Short Breaks can be found HERE.
Short Breaks will be subject to funding. We have set a limit on the amount of grant we can provide to allow as many carers as possible to benefit from the scheme. Currently, we are offering a grant up to a maximum of £150 per carer towards your chosen short break. This could be the cost towards a holiday, activity or therapy. Your application will be assessed against our eligibility criteria.
Make a Request - it's Easy
1. Apply online by accessing the application form HERE, or call Amanda Brown to obtain a paper version of the application form (01595 743923) We can also help you to complete an application over the phone if you prefer.
2. Once Shetland Carers has received your completed application form we will acknowledge receipt.
3. This will then register you with our service so that we can record you are a carer and send you any new carer information.
Notes about the Application Process
1. Grants will be allocated eight times per year at panel meetings on 12th May 2021, 23rd June 2021, 18th August 2021, 29th September 2021, 10th November 2021, 15th December 2021, 24th January 2022 and 9th March 2022. Applications that are time critical can be assessed at the panel's discretion in between meetings. Applicants will be advised within one week of the meeting the outcome of their application.
2. Any grant awarded will reflect a contribution towards the break, subject to a maximum amount of £150.
3. Carers may be invited to meet with Shetland Carers Support Worker to discuss their application if further information is required.
After Your Short Break
As part of the conditions for the grant you will need to send us receipts for your Short Break. We also require that you fill in an evaluation form telling us about your Short Break which can be done online or a paper version can be completed. This helps us to monitor the success and take-up of the project and make improvements where necessary.