*NEW!* TIME FOR ME Short Break Grants
Shetland Charitable Trust has enabled VAS Carers to provide grants through our new 'Time for Me' fund - to allow carers of someone UNDER 21 years, to take a short break of their choice.
We want to encourage carers, and the people they care for, to have a 'break', i.e. some time-out from their regular caring routines. We want to use the money to do something that you enjoy that will help promote good health and well-being.
If you are providing a significant amount of care for someone UNDER 21 years, then you could be eligible to apply for our NEW Time For Me Short Break Grant scheme to award you a break from your caring responsibilities.
Voluntary Action Shetland has been fortunate to secure £2,503 from Shetland Charitable Trust allowing us to offer carers of young people and young adults in Shetland, the chance to benefit from a short break from their caring role from September 2020 until the end of March 2021.
Here is a brochure with further information about our Short Break Grant Scheme. If you would like some ideas about ways to take a break at home, please visit the following page HERE. Our current eligiblity criteria for awarding Time for Me Short Breaks can be found HERE.
Short breaks will be subject to funding. We have set a limit on the amount of grant we can provide to allow as many carers as possible to benefit from the scheme. Currently, we are offering a grant up to a maximum of £150 per carer towards your chosen short break. This could be the cost towards a holiday, activity or therapy. Your application will be assessed against our eligibility criteria.
Make a Request - it's Easy
1. Apply online by accessing the word document below, or call Amanda Brown to obtain a paper version of the application form (01595 743923)
2. Once VAS has received your completed application form we will acknowledge receipt.
3. This will then register you with our service so that we can record you are a carer and send you any new carer information.
TO APPLY PLEASE ACCESS OUR WORD DOCUMENT HERE. PLEASE EMAIL THIS BACK TO US AS EITHER A COMPLETED DOCUMENT OR AS PHOTOS, OR POST BACK TO US. WE CAN ALSO HELP YOU TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION OVER THE PHONE IF YOU PREFER.
Notes about the Application Process
1. Grants will be allocated four times per year at panel meetings on 28th October 2020, 2nd December 2020, 13th January 2021 and 24th February 2021. Applications that are time critical can be assessed at the panel's discretion in between meetings. Applicants will be advised within one week of the meeting the outcome of their application.
2. Any grant awarded will reflect a contribution towards the break, subject to a maximum amount of £150.
3. Carers may be invited to meet with VAS Support Worker to discuss their application if further information is required.
After Your Short Break
As part of the conditions for the grant you will need to send us receipts for your short break. We also require that you fill in an Evaluation form telling us about your Short Break which can be done on line or paper version can be completed. This helps us to monitor the success and take-up of the project and make improvments where necessary.