Factsheet for Parent Carers

This page is designed to let you know some of the help that is available to Parent Carers, and present it all on one page (so some of it is on other pages too). It was initiated by carers and it is not an exhaustive list but it may point you in the right direction to get the things you need. 

Advocacy Shetland – is an organisation who can help people to have their voices heard when dealing with different organisations.
01595 743929

Appointments with Specialists and GPs – when you are having an appointment discussing your child, you can ring up beforehand and ask for a separate appointment without your child so that you can speak about some of your concerns without them hearing.

Blue Badge parking permits let disabled drivers and passengers park nearer to where they're going. There are criteria on who is eligible but currently there is a pilot in Scotland for children with autism.

Carers Allowance – This is a long term, earnings replacement benefit. It is paid weekly to people who are caring for someone who is in receipt of a qualifying benefit – you can speak to citizen’s advice to find out if you would be eligible for this benefit.

C+ Companion concession card – The person you care for can apply for a C+ card so that they can have a companion to help them when travelling by bus or ferry where they are unable to travel unaccompanied. You would need to be in receipt of DLA (middle or higher rate) to be entitled.  It is called Application for National Entitlement Card. Conditions apply see website and you can check these with SIC Transport.
01595 744868

CAB - The Citizens Advice Bureau can provide advice, support and assistance filling in forms on many issues you may encounter as a carer, including legal matters, employment, housing, benefit entitlement (such as Disability Living Allowance which is often a gateway benefit to other entitlements) and debt. They help to ensure that your income is maximised. They are also carrying out outreach visits.  
01595 694696 

Carer Support plans – as a carer if may be useful to have a carer support plan for yourself to see how you can be supported in your caring role.
01595 743923 

Carer Support Groups – an opportunity to come and talk about your caring issues and share your knowledge, experiences and feelings with other carers. We specifically have a carers support group for parents that meet on the last Tuesday of the month at Market House.
01595 743923.

CEA Card - is a national card scheme developed for UK cinemas by the UK Cinema Association (UKCA). It is one of the ways for participating cinemas to ensure they make reasonable adjustments for disabled guests when they go to the cinema; in particular it ensures a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them. This cared for person must be aged over 8. For info on how to apply use this link

Continence Products - speak to your local community nurse about getting an assessment in the first instance, you may be able to obtain these on prescription.

Disability Toilet Key – This is called a Radar NKS key.  It offers disabled people independent access to locked public toilets around the country. Toilets fitted with National Key Scheme (NKS) locks can now be found in shopping centres, pubs, cafés, department stores, bus and train stations and many other locations in most parts of the country - it costs £4.50 from this website.

Facebook links:

Shetland Carers
Shetland Autism Network 

Family Fund - Help families who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under. They provide grants that support a family, improve their wellbeing, increase quality of life and ease many of the pressures they often face. Find out how to apply here.  

Foot gauge – To make life easier did you realise you can buy a foot gauge from Clark’s online shop to measure the feet of your child. 

Fire Safety Checks – if you wish, a member of the local fire and rescue service will visit your home to carry out an inspection which will help you identify any risks, plan with you what to do to reduce the risks and ensure your home smoke alarms are working.
0800 0731 999

GIRFEC - Getting it right for every child aims to improve outcomes for all children and young people. It puts the wellbeing of children and young people at the centre of the process. It builds solutions with and around children and families, enables children to get the help they need when they need it, supports a positive shift in culture, systems and practice and involves working together to make things better.

In control -   A national charity working for an inclusive society where everyone has the support they need to live a good life and make a valued contribution. They were the pioneers of self-directed support.

National Autistic Society – has lots of information and advice regarding autism. They also have cards available to carry round which have been developed in consultation with people on the autism spectrum and their families. The card can be carried by a parent or carer of a person on the autism spectrum and handed out in difficult situations where they may find communication difficult. 

Occupational Therapy- information on children’s occupational therapy in Shetland 

Scottish Autism - Scottish Autism is an organisation dedicated to enriching the lives of people with autism. They have lots of useful information on their website.   they also provide Right Click which is an online programme for parents and carers to provide information and support at times when you need it most.

Scottish Welfare Fund – This is for people who are in a crisis situation where they require immediate financial assistance due to an emergency or disaster, or need support to stay in the community and requires certain items which they may not be able to afford. Apply through Shetland Islands Council:
01595 744648 or 01595 744629

Self Directed Support - is about people being in control of the support they need to live the life they choose. It's about giving people real power and control over their lives.  Register here.  

Shortbreaks -  Often families who have children with complex additional support needs living with them need some extra help so that they can manage by themselves the rest of the time. Access to the service is dependent on an assessment of need/eligibility.  The process for requesting an assessment is to contact Children and Families intake team, who will take basic details and allocate a worker.  
childrens&families-intake@shetland.gov.uk  01595 744421.

If you have any further questions then please give us a call on 01595 743923 or email carers@shetland.org