Short Break Grants
VAS Carers can provide grants to enable carers to take a short break of their choice, through either Shared Care Scotland's TIME TO LIVE fund OR our new TIME FOR ME fund, with money from Shetland Charitable Trust.
****Our funds for the TIME TO LIVE Short Break grant scheme are all spent for the current grant year. We will reopen again in October 2021****
****Our TIME FOR ME Short Break grant scheme (see below) REOPENED on 1st April 2021****
We have funding available to offer short break grants to carers in need of a break. Shared Care Scotland funding will be delivered through our Time to Live Short Break grant Scheme (see more details below). PLEASE CLICK HERE TO ACCESS OUR ONLINE APPLICATION. Applicants for these grants (including young carers) should be caring for someone who is 21 years or older. You can also email us at [email protected] for an application form.
Our Time for Me Short Break Grant scheme, funded by Shetland Charitable Trust, provides grants to someone providing a significant amount of care to someone UNDER 21 years. This fund has now REOPENED for the new grant period on 1st April 2021. Please visit https://www.shetlandcarers.org/support/breaks/new-time-for-me-short-break-grants for further information and for details on how to apply.
Here is a brochure with further information about our Short Break Grant Schemes. This includes some ideas for your short break and we are open to your suggestions too. If you would like some ideas about ways to take a break at home, please visit our page HERE. Our current eligibiity criteria for awarding Short Breaks can be found here.
Short breaks will be subject to funding. We have set a limit on the amount of grant we can provide to allow as many carers as possible to benefit from the scheme. Currently, we are offering a grant up to a maximum of £150 per carer towards your chosen short break. This could be the cost towards a holiday, activity or therapy. Your application will be assessed against our eligibility criteria.
Make a Request - it's Easy
1. Apply online by accessing the online application above or call Amanda Brown to obtain a paper version of the application form (01595 743923). We can also help you compete an application over the phone if you prefer.
2. Once VAS has received your completed application form we will acknowledge receipt.
3. This will then register you with our service so that we can record you are a carer and send you any new carer information.
Notes about the application process : - After Your Short Break
1. Due to the current pandemic, our short break panel will be meeting more regularly. Panel meetings outwith the pandemic were quarterly. Applications that are time critical can be assessed at the panel’s discretion in between meetings. Applicants will be advised within one week of the meeting the outcome of their application.
2. Any grant awarded will reflect a contribution towards the break, subject to a maximum amount of £150.
3. Previous recipients can reapply in subsequent years but if the fund is oversubscribed priority will be given to first time applicants.
4. Carers may be invited to meet with VAS Support Worker to discuss their application if further information is required.
After Your Short Break
As part of the conditions for the grant you will need to send us receipts for your short break. We also require that you fill in an Evaluation form telling us about your Short Break which can be done on line or a paper version can be completed. This helps us to monitor the success and take-up of the project and make improvements where necessary.