Share on
Contribute a Pledge
Ask a Question

Factsheet for Carers

This sheet is designed to let you know some of the help that is available to Carers and present it all on one page. It was initiated by carers and it is not an exhaustive list but it may point you in the right direction to get the things you need.

  • Ability Shetland - offers recreational and social activities and clubs for people with disabilities. For more information please phone Stephanie Bain 01595 743922 or see their website
  • Advocacy Shetland is an organisation who can help people to have their voices heard when dealing with different organisations.
    01595 743929
  • Alzheimer Scotland - offer a range of support and activities for people with dementia, their partners, families and friends to help maintain abilities, social activities, relationships and community connections.
    01595 720343
  • Blue Badge parking permits let disabled drivers and passengers park nearer to where they're going. There are criteria on who is eligible.
  • C+ Companion concession card – The person you care for can apply for a C+ card so that they can have a companion to help them when travelling by bus or ferry where they are unable to travel unaccompanied. You would need to be in receipt of DLA (middle or higher rate) to be entitled. It is called Application for National Entitlement Card. Conditions apply see website and you can check these with SIC Transport.
    01595 744868
  • CAB - The Citizens Advice Bureau can provide advice, support and assistance filling in forms on many issues you may encounter as a carer, including legal matters, employment, housing, benefit entitlement (such as Disability Living Allowance which is often a gateway benefit to other entitlements) and debt. They help to ensure that your income is maximised. They are also carrying out outreach visits.
    01595 694696 [email protected]
  • CEA Card - is a national card scheme developed for UK cinemas by the UK Cinema Association (UKCA). It is one of the ways for participating cinemas to ensure they make reasonable adjustments for disabled guests when they go to the cinema; in particular it ensures a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them. The cared for person must be aged over 8 years. For info on how to apply use this link.
  • Care at homea service provided by Shetland Islands Council. They will assess the needs of the person you care for and if they meet the eligibility criteria you could be offered a worker who will come out to your house to assist the person that you care for. This service can be free. Contact Duty Social Work
    01595 744400
  • Carer Support Plan – as a carer, it may be useful to have a carer support plan for yourself to see how you can be supported in your caring role. (This used to be called Carer's Assessment.) 01595 743980.
  • Carer Support Groups – an opportunity to come and talk about your caring issues and share your knowledge, experiences and feelings with other carers.
    01595 743980
  • Carers Allowance – This is a long term, earnings replacement benefit. It is paid weekly to people who are caring for someone who is in receipt of a qualifying benefit – you can speak to Citizen’s Advice to find out if you would be eligible for this benefit.
  • CLAN - provides local cancer support services for anyone living with cancer, for their family members, carers and close friends.
    01595 697275 [email protected]
  • Contact Scotland - the charity for families with disabled children. They understand that life with a disabled child brings unique challenges, and exist to help families feel valued, supported, confident and informed. Please see the following leaflet for information and their facebook link is
  • Disability Toilet Key – This is called a Radar NKS key. It offers disabled people independent access to locked public toilets around the country. Toilets fitted with National Key Scheme (NKS) locks can now be found in shopping centres, pubs, cafés, department stores, bus and train stations and many other locations in most parts of the country - it costs £4.50 from this website.
  • Facebook links -
    Shetland Carers
    Shetland Autism Network
  • Family Fund - Help families who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under. They provide grants that support a family, improve their wellbeing, increase quality of life and ease many of the pressures they often face. See their website
  • Fire Safety Checks – if you wish, a member of the local fire and rescue service will visit your home to carry out an inspection which will help you identify any risks, plan with you what to do to reduce the risks and ensure your home smoke alarms are working.
    To arrange a visit, contact 0800 073 1999, text 'FIRE' to 80800 or fill in a form at
  • Herbert Protocol - Do you know someone living with dementia? Are you worried they may wander off? The Herbert Protocol is an information gathering tool to assist the Police to find a vulnerable person who has gone missing, as quickly as possible.
  • In control - A national charity working for an inclusive society where everyone has the support they need to live a good life and make a valued contribution. They were the pioneers of self-directed support.
  • Independent Living Centre- a purpose built facility that provides a unique showroom environment for members of the public to view and try a wide range of disability products such as chairs, hoists, commodes or some smaller pieces of equipment such as hearing and visual aids. You can also find out about and Telecare equipment such as a homelink. It also has a number of catalogues and leaflets that you may find useful.
    01595 744319.
  • "Power of Attorney" is a written document appointing someone to act on your behalf in respect of decisions that require to be made for you when you are unable to take these decisions for yourself. For more information contact a solicitor or click here.
    0800 4708090
  • Respite care - the Social Care (Self Directed Support) Scotland Act 2013 introduced the right for carers not to be charged for any support they receive as a carer as part of a carer's assessment. This can include residential respite or day care. Contact Duty Social Work.
    01595 744400
  • Royal Voluntary Service - a range of services to older people within the community, including transport (e.g. to doctor/hospital appointments, collecting pension, shopping,) home from hospital service and social and lunch clubs.
    01595 743914
  • Self Directed Support - is about people being in control of the support they need to live the life they choose. It's about giving people real power and control over their lives.
  • Self Care - this is a good website for helping you take control of your own health.
  • Shetland Care Attendant Scheme - provides practical support (where they have capacity), a trained Care Attendant can sit with the person that you care for, enabling you, the carer, to have some time free from your caring role.
    01595 743931 [email protected]
  • Shetland Community Connections (SCC) can offer support, advice, signposting and connections to any person living in Shetland with additional support needs. They offer support and advice for arranging direct payment packages, giving information, helping people in becoming an employer and working with Personal Assistants. 01595 745091 [email protected]

If you have any further questions then please give us a call on 01595 743980 or email [email protected]

Sign up

We'd love to keep you updated with our news, meetings & events, and our activites and appeals.