Share on
Contribute a Pledge
Ask a Question

Information for Parent Carers

You will be able to find some of these links in various places on our website but we thought it may be easy to put it all together in one place. Please let us know if there is more information that you think would need to be added.....

This list was initiated by parent carers of children with social communication difficulties but many parent carers will find the information useful. It is not an exhaustive list but it may point you in the right direction. We have tried to keep it in alphabetical order.

Appointments with Specialists and GPs – When you are having an appointment discussing your child, you can ring up beforehand and ask for a separate appointment without your child so that you can speak about some of your concerns without them hearing.

Blue Badge parking permits let disabled drivers and passengers park nearer to where they're going. There is criteria on who is eligible but currently they have a pilot in Scotland for children with autism. Click here for further information on applying. Click here to complete the form.

Carers Allowance – This is a long term, earnings replacement benefit. It is paid weekly to people who are caring for someone who is in receipt of a qualifying benefit – you can speak to Citizen’s Advice to find out if you would be eligible for this benefit. You can also get more information on the government website. From Summer 2018, carers in Scotland who receive Carers’ Allowance from the DWP will receive a top-up benefit (backdated to April 2018) twice a year from the Scottish Government.

C+ Companion concession card – The person you care for can apply for a C+ card so that they can have a companion to help them when travelling by bus or ferry where they are unable to travel unaccompanied. It is called Application for National Entitlement Card. Check the eligibility list before applying and you can also check these with SIC Transport 01595 744868.

Carer Support plans – It may be useful to have a carer support plan for yourself to see how you can be supported in your caring role. Contact 01595 743980 for advice on how to get one.

CEA Card - Is a national card scheme developed for UK cinemas by the UK Cinema Association (UKCA). It is one of the ways for participating cinemas to ensure they make reasonable adjustments for disabled guests when they go to the cinema; in particular it ensures a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them. The cared for person must be aged over 8. For info on how to apply use this link.

Disability Toilet Key – This is called a Radar NKS key. It offers disabled people independent access to locked public toilets around the country. Toilets fitted with National Key Scheme (NKS) locks can now be found in shopping centres, pubs, cafés, department stores, bus and train stations and many other locations in most parts of the country. It costs £5.00 from this website.

Family Fund - Help families who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under. They provide grants that help support a family, improve their wellbeing, increase quality of life and ease many of the pressures they often face. How to apply.

Foot gauge – To make life easier you can buy a foot gauge from Clark’s shoe shop to measure the feet of your child.

GIRFEC - Getting It Right For Every Child aims to improve outcomes for all children and young people. It puts the wellbeing of children and young people at the centre of the process. It builds solutions with and around children and families, enables children to get the help they need when they need it, and involves working together to make things better. For more information on GIRFEC.

In control - A national charity working for an inclusive society where everyone has the support they need to live a good life and make a valued contribution. They were the pioneers of self-directed support.

Fire Safety Checks – if you wish, a member of the local fire and rescue service will visit your home to carry out an inspection which will help you identify any risks, plan with you to reduce the risks and ensure your home smoke alarms are working - Call 0800 0731 999.

National Autistic Society – Their website has lots of information and advice regarding autism. They have cards available to carry round which have been developed in consultation with people on the autism spectrum and their families. The card can be used in difficult situations where they may find communication difficult. We have some cards available if you contact us we could give you one to try. They also have a number of online courses, their newest module is one about women and girls but there are other online courses available.

Occupational Therapy- For information on children’s occupational therapy in Shetland.

Preschool Play – Offer a library of toys which could be rented out. So you could try different sensory toys as a trial to see if they enjoy before buying. They are based at Market House, Market Street, Lerwick. Telephone: 01595 743917.

Scottish Autism - Dedicated to enriching the lives of people with autism, they also provide Right Click, an online programme for parents and carers to provide information and support at times when you need it most - or their various support programmes.

Scottish Welfare Fund – For people who are in a crisis situation where they require immediate financial assistance due to an emergency or disaster. Or for people who need support to stay in the community and require certain items which they may not be able to afford.

Self Directed Support - Is about people being in control of the support they need to live the life they choose. It's about giving people real power and control over their lives.

Short breaks - Often families, who have children with complex additional support needs living with them, need some extra help so that they can manage by themselves the rest of the time. Access to the service is dependent on an assessment of need/eligibility. To request an assessment contact Children and Families team.

Shetland Carers - we support all carers. We use this website, but also we regularly use Social Media pages including:- Shetland Carers facebook page and Shetland Autism Network page.

Sign up

We'd love to keep you updated with our news, meetings & events, and our activites and appeals.